Friday, April 21, 2017

Review: The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I actually really liked this novel! This was a pick for my book club and it was picked as the #1 book in the Chronicles of Narnia series because it is placed at the beginning, rather than when it was published year wise.

And I actually really enjoyed reading this first because it gave me an idea of how Narnia was created. Most of the times, readers don't really get the explanation of how magical places are created but rather this is here and we are living in this world and you just need to accept it and move on. But C. S. Lewis gives the readers the satisfaction of how it was created - down to how the Sun and the Earth were made. And I loved that so much.

It also gives us the explanation of how the wardrobe was created at the end of the novel, to give a back story for the rest of the series and when the 4 siblings stumble into Narnia.

This is a short novel and I flew through it so quickly, I almost wanted to re-read it and enjoy the story again.

I hated the uncle - which I was supposed to. He was a low life, good for nothing man that was all talk but when it came time for action, he was a scared old man. He made his nephew and his friend do all of the dirty work, but wanted to take credit for their finds. I'm glad that his plan got changed and he had to realize his mistakes.

Narnia is a great world and I look forward to finding time and reading the whole series for once. This was a great introduction to the series and I can't wait to get my hands on the rest eventually.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment