Thursday, September 1, 2011

Kindles / E-Books

As a "librarian in training", I've come to accept that Kindles and other formats that allow e-Books to be downloaded on are the style in today's society and they are a great source for a lot of books in one storage space.

I've also realized that while I may accept them, I won't want one for my own personal use. I'm a physical book kind of gal and I need to have the book in my hand. I stare at this electronic device (laptop) almost all day that I don't want to stare at another electronic device (Kindle) for the other part of the day.

That being said, I really dislike when authors publish books ONLY in Kindle - e-Book formats!!! It almost makes me want to get a Kindle even though I won't use it as often as I should to even out the difference of the amount I would pay for a Kindle.

Here's one great example of a book that would get me to finally buy a Kindle:

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 


Travis Maddox, lean, cut and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs-and wants-to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month, If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match. 


(Synopsis taken from Goodreads)


Now, doesn't that sound like an amazing book?? I definitely want to read it, but alas, it's only in an e-Book format! :( I really hope that the author will publish it into a paper format sometime in the future so I can get my hands on it!

If there are more books like this that comes out in the near future, my resistance to Kindles and e-Books might be cracked as I will not be able to accept that I will NEVER read those books just because I won't covert my personal library to a digital format...

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you comment on this because I actually bought a Nook last week! I chose it mainly because I want to be able to get library books, which you currently cannot with the Kindle. I was also one of those people who said I would not get an e-reader. However, I actually really like mine. It's so much more convenient than having the physical book with me. Mind you, I will still read the physical book sometimes!

    I really enjoy that I am not limited to one book. If I am at work or school on my break and simply cannot get into the book, I have another one right there to switch to without ever getting up! Honestly, it's not that much different than reading a regular book, especially with the e-ink format.

    However, want to know the main reason why I decided to get an e-reader? Working in a library, people constantly ask questions about their e-readers (ex. "How do I do this?" or "I have no idea how to use this and I need help." or "How do I put books on here?"). At the end of the day, we need to be able to use them in order to help our patrons. Another reason that I chose the Nook is because my sister has a Kindle, so I play with hers. That way, I have experience with the Kindle and the Nook. I now can help people with their questions without feeling stupid that I don't know the answers. It's especially important because we are in the process of getting ebooks in our collection.

    ReplyDelete