Sunday, August 28, 2011

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

For my internship this semester, I had to read Fahrenheit 451 as it's part of the freshmen class assignment and it's also part of the banned book month coming up for the library's display. As an English major, I'm ashamed to say that I had not read this book before now, and after the first few pages I actually enjoyed the book and the message that it gave to the reader.

When I found out that the firemen were burning books instead of putting out fires, I was very sad. Who would want to burn books?!?

Following Guy's thoughts and feelings throughout him thinking about his life and his career was very interesting and it showed how this society in Bradbury's novel thought they way they did to destroy all books. Knowledge for us today is a great thing to have, but in this society, only knowledge about doing things was deemed important - not about things that made others think and criticized why things worked the way that they did.

This novel definitely made me think more about books in the sense that one gains critical information through the words rather than for pleasure or entertainment purposes like I do with my young adult novels that I fly through.

No comments:

Post a Comment