Monday, November 12, 2012

Gone by Lisa McMann

This is the third and final book in the Dream Catcher trilogy by Lisa McMann.

My review of #1: Wake.
My review of #2: Fade.

Note - This will contain spoilers from the first and second novel in this trilogy. Read at your own risk :)

Ever since Janie found out exactly what was going to happen to her if she continued using her dream catching abilities, she's been conflicted as to what she wants to do.

On the one hand, she could keep delving into others dreams and eventually lose her eyesight and the functioning of her hands, or she could be alone for the rest of her life and avoid all human contact to live a solitary life.

Not really ideal for a girl who is helplessly in love with Cabel. Who, by the way, keeps having horrible nightmares about Janie, but can't seem to remember them when he wakes up. Doesn't bode well for their relationship, that's for sure.

But then, something happened that was extremely unexpected... Janie's father shows up. The father that she has never met in her entire life. The man she has never really thought of all of these years.

Unfortunately he shows up at the hospital in a severe coma after having a brain tumor. So Janie can't really talk to him to ask him all of the questions that keep popping into her head.

Now, Janie has the hardest decision to make in her life. Stay with the love of her life and slowly deteriorate or leave him, disappear, and be alone until old age. She's not sure how she will choose, but some unexpected news comes into view that will make Janie's decision a lot easier to choose what her future will hold. To find out, read Gone by Lisa McMann, the final conclusion to the Dream Catcher trilogy.

My Thoughts/Reflections
My reaction to this book in one word?

Eh.

That's right, Eh. I dunno, it just didn't do it for me. I loved the second novel, there was a back story to follow plus the actiony part where Janie was busting some teachers.

But this novel was about Janie choosing what she wanted to do. Don't get me wrong, that was a huge decision and I respect the author for showing that it literally tore Janie up in two when trying to decide. But THAT'S. ALL. THAT. HAPPENED.

Nothing else significant happened. Sure, her father came. But we didn't get any satisfaction from that event.

I dunno, I was greatly disappointed with this novel.

It was a fast read, I flew through it, but it wasn't satisfying for me.

At least I was able to finish the series and I didn't have to wait extremely long for it to be released. I definitely would have been more angry if I had.

So, overall, I enjoyed the series as a whole, but wouldn't buy it for my own collection. I'm glad I finally got around to reading it and have read almost all of Lisa McMann's novels, but that's as far as I would go.

This would definitely be a book for anyone who started the series to read so they can finish the story and see what happens to Janie and Cabel. For one just starting this series with this book, don't do it. You'll be confused and spoil the first and second novels, which I thought were better.

I'll be keeping my eye out for more of Lisa McMann's novels, which will be happening soon with a new series she's starting and the first novel will be released in January 2013. It sounds a little bit like the Dream Catcher series, so I might just wait until all 4 novels are out before I start that.

No comments:

Post a Comment