Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: The Book Thief

The Book Thief The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second time I've read this book (the last time was in 2011) and I liked it just as much as the first time. This is a very hard book to get into at first, but I promise you that the ending is well worth the wait and anguish to get through the 550 pages.

The most interesting part of this book is that it is told through Death's perspective. It makes for a very different narration and gives a lot more to the story than if it was just through Liesel's viewpoint.

I love that Liesel loved books. That she loved words. And that she found a way to learn how to read. Reading a valuable thing in Liesel's life and with everything going on, that is a very rare thing to keep what you love to close your heart and not let it get affected by the things happening in the world.

I also enjoy that this is a novel about the war. You probably think that is morbid, but I don't read YA books about war. This books gives me a story that I was able to read and understand a piece of history. I have a hard time reading historical events, but this was a way that I could read it and enjoy it at the same time.

I loved the ending of this book. It is so worth the wait to get to the end and found out what happens to everyone. Most of it was sad, but it was also uplifting as well. I sound so contradicting, but once you read it, you will understand what I mean.

I'm so glad I got a chance to read this a second time because of book club. This is definitely a book that sticks with you for a long time!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment