Saturday, June 24, 2017

Review: Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Kaz and his group were thrown for a loop when they completed their mission (with flying colors, they might add) only to get jipped when it came time for them to get their hefty award. And on top of that, with one of the members taken hostage to make an exchange in 7 days, Kaz is now scheming and planning a new plan of action to get Inej back in their circle of crows.

Each time Kaz plans a new action of attack, another group in Ketterdam decides they want to go against the Crows and get their money's worth while they all have a price on their head. And each member of the group is going through a lot of internally issues that they have to deal with in order to help with the plan to get everyone safely out of Ketterdam in one piece - and with their millions of kruges as well.

And so begins a series of many adventures, many plans, many backstabbing members, and many deep conversations that each member (Kaz, Inej, Wylen, Matthias, Nina, Jesper) must have in order to have a clear mind when the biggest battle of all happens to save their reputation and money.

I. Love. This. Book! Seriously! I didn't think it could get any better, but it did! There is A LOT of things that happen in this book.

I mean, I think Kaz came up with 10ish different plans? Which mean that 9ish didn't work out so well, but that is a lot of scheming for one mind to do in a novel! Kaz has such a brilliant mind and he is always planning a plan B and C and D, etc, etc. And he is almost never fazed when his first plan doesn't work out. He just takes a moment, composes his thoughts, and then voila! Another idea. It's amazing to think of what goes on in his mind.

I love all of the characters in this book. If I had to say which one was my favorite.... I might pick Inej... Maybe... Or maybe Nina? Gah, they are all such great characters, it's very hard to pick!

Inej is a fighter, a survivor, and she is so steathly it's crazy madness. She is cunning and brave and I loved watching her and Kaz struggle through their issues with skin-on-skin contact for their own reasons.

But then Nina is just as much of a fighter, survivor, cunning and brave as all of the other characters too. And she had to struggle through the addiction of the drug she took to save everyone's lives, and that changed her entire self when it affected her Grisha abilities.

I will say, there were 6 members of the group in "Six of Crows" and by the end there are 5... so yes, one was defeated and it was sad and terrible and I wish it wouldn't have happened. But with the amount of battles and missions these people went on, I'm not really surprised that all of them didn't make it. And no, I'm not telling who it is. You'll have to read it to find out :)

Love, love, loved this book, this series, the Grisha series - just ALL of it!! I'm definitely going to be getting my own copies of these two series and owning them so I can re-read them whenever I want to because I seriously loved so much about these series. Leigh Bardugo is on my list of favorite authors and I am going to be snatching up her upcoming novels when they come out :)

Read them. You won't be disappointed!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment