Monday, June 11, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda

It was just another cold winter in Maine where 17-year-old Delaney and her best friend Decker were racing to play outside in the snow with their friends.

Only it wasn't. When Delaney fell through the frozen lake, everything for her changed. 

She was inside of the lake for 11 minutes. Enough time that she actually died. Only with the help of Decker giving her CPR did Delaney live - even if the doctors couldn't figure out how she came back to life. 

After two weeks, though, Delaney realized that not everything is the same as what it once was. First, Decker is acting strange - almost as if he wants to be more than friends with Delaney. 

Second, a strange boy, Troy, starts hanging around Delaney who says that he knows her, when in fact she has never met him before. 

And third, Delaney gets an odd sensation in her body, a tingle, whenever she is near someone who is about to die. 

Troy is like Delaney - he can sense when others are going to die too. When Delaney finds this out, she feels connected to him in a way she can't feel toward Decker. 

Things start to go downhill for Delaney, though. Troy is not who she thought she was, Decker has moved on to another girl, and everyone in town is treating her as if she is "fine" when in reality, she's not. 

But can Delaney figure out what her new "ability" is? Or will she be trapped in this life she doesn't know forever, fearing being around people who are sick? Read Fracture by Megan Miranda to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
I was blown away by this book. I read it in one sitting, having to know what was going to happen next and how the story ended. 

I didn't think it was going to be supernatural. I thought it was contemporary, which is is a little bit but with Delaney's new "gift" it definitely changed the storyline. 

I could not imagine what Delaney went through. Having been in the hospital for 2 weeks and finding out that she literally died would make any sane person a little scared. But then getting tingles next to anyone that was about to die? Yeah, I would have clung to Troy as well since he knew about the "gift" from the start!

Ah, Decker. The boy next door, the boy who befriended Delaney, the boy who is always there. He was my favorite character in this book even if he started dating another girl and ignored Delaney. I don't blame him - Delaney wasn't telling him what was going on so he was very much out of the loop. 

Drowning is a huge fear of mine, because I don't know how to swim, so I understand Delaney's turmoil toward the lake. At the end of the book, when she's back on the lake, I thought she was very brave and somewhat stupid to do that again, but she did have an overall goal for that. 

I really liked this novel! It's about heartbreak, confusion, misunderstanding, romance, and life. 

I think many other readers will fall into this story like I have and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a darker tale of mystery and survival. 

No comments:

Post a Comment