Friday, June 29, 2012

Abandon by Meg Cabot

At the age of 7, Pierce met a mysterious, dark man who was able to bring a bird back to life.

At the age of 15, Pierce hit her head and drowned in her pool, causing her to die and go to the underworld. There, she saw the mysterious man and sought his help to go back home.

While he didn't help her escape, he gave her a rare necklace that tells Pierce when evil is near. Then she ran away and went back home.

Now, at the age of 17, Pierce has had more horrible events happen to her than she prefers. Her best friend died, she was cornered by a teacher and a jewelry shop owner, and she's now moved to her mother's homeland, the name which translates to "Island of Bones".

And Pierce's mysterious man? He's on that island as well.

The more Pierce learns about John, the more bad things start to happen around her. But she also feels a connection with him - and she wants to help him because he seems troubled.

Pierce is always helping any living thing, but will this time kill her again...and keep her dead?

Read the first in Meg Cabot's new trilogy, Abandon, to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
I absolutely love Meg Cabot's books! I have been reading them since I was little and I'm glad she is still writing amazing novels today for me to read!

I also love mythology, so this book could not have been more perfect for me to read!

This is the story about Persephone and Hades, and if you look at the characters names (Pierce and John Hayden) we can see that there is a connection. A little bit.

Pierce is very selfless. When she died at 15, instead of being concerned about her own safety, she confronted John and told him that he should give everyone else in line warmer clothes, fix their phones, etc.

I also loved how she wanted to help John, especially when he had scars and she wanted to fix it somehow.

This was very beautifully written and I was sucked into the story almost immediately! I've read another Persephone/Hades story rewritten (Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman) which I really enjoyed, but this story is very unique and I can't wait to read the other 2 novels in this series!

(I actually don't mind that there are more novels to come - which is saying something since series are starting to get tiresome for me!)

As soon as I can order the second novel from the library, I will be reading it immediately and will just have to be impatient until the third one is released.

I would definitely recommend this series to others, especially teen girls and older. Pierce is a strong female character and there's enough romantic tension in here to keep most readers happy and entertained!

No comments:

Post a Comment