Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

This is the first novel in The Lynburn Legacy series by Sarah Rees Brennan.

Kami is never alone. She communicates with another person. A guy named Jared. Ever since she can remember, she will have full-on conversations with Jared. He is the guy that knows her the most, who knows what she is feeling and what she is thinking.

But that's because Kami and Jared can read and talk to each other through their minds. They've never met.

Until the day the Lynburn's move back to her town, Sorry-of-the-Vale.

The she meets Jared. And things become very weird. Yes, they still have their link and can read each other's mind. Yes, they still latch on to the other, mentally, when they need someone to steady them.

But in person, they are awkward. Jared has this feeling to protect Kami, but he does not want to touch Kami. It's too much, and it's a very complicated relationship.

They can count on each other, though, through thick and thin. Or so Kami thought...

Someone is killing animals and people in their town. Kami isn't sure who would do something like that. Many of the townspeople are blaming the Lynburn's - bad things happened when they were in the town years ago and now it's starting up again.

As much as Kami doesn't want to think Jared could have anything to do with it, he is a Lynburn. And she really doesn't know exactly what Jared is capable, because they have the ability to hide what they are thinking from one another as well.

Come to find out, they have even more of a connection than they thought. And now others are trying to sever that link - in the "dead" kind of way.

Can Kami and Jared get used to knowing each other in person, or will the link make it too hard for them? Who is after Jared and Kami - trying to kill them? Read Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
There was some love and hate toward this book. But it was evenly spaced out to the point where I didn't put the book away and quit, but I didn't race through it either.

I love Kami. She was a great character, a reporter, and dug all the dirt on the subject that she was interested in at the time. She didn't take no for an answer and she always pursued until she felt she had all of the information.

I didn't like the way Jared acted. I was all for Jared and Kami getting together after all of these years and to start dating. I mean, what more do you want if you can read the other's mind? NO SECRETS!! Plus they have a connection - it just makes sense to me.

But alas, that isn't the way it worked out.

Now, there is other stuff in this book that I didn't talk about in my review. I did it for a reason, so if you've read the book and say this is a horrible review since I missed a lot of the main plot, I completely understand.

I was going to read this book and then be done with this series. However, when I finished it, the ending!!!

Gah, the ending!

It hooked me in, it shocked me, and made me want more. So now I will be reading the second novel of the series when it comes out because I HAVE to know what happens now. I'm hooked and gutted, waiting on a string until Untold comes out in August 2013.

For anyone who is looking for a bit of magic, mystery, unrequited love, and supernatural, I would recommend this to you. It takes a while to get into the novel, but I think it was worth finishing because he got me over the fence of hating/loving!

No comments:

Post a Comment