Saturday, November 4, 2017

Review: Torn by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Torn Torn by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After Ivy was betrayed by one of her best friends and found out a very dark and dangerous secret about herself, she didn't know what to do. The information that the Fae Prince let loose has changed Ivy's entire world, and now she has no idea who she can trust now.

She wants to trust Ren, because she is love with him, but if he ever found out about this secret, he would be torn. Torn between his duty, and torn between his feelings for Ivy.

Ivy can't talk to the Order about this, either, because they haven't believe anything else she has been telling them, but with this secret they would take it very seriously. And she's not sure if they would try to protect her or kill her.

Then Ivy goes to Tink - who, by the way, has SO MANY secrets he's kept from Ivy - and finds out more about the Fae world than anyone else knows.

Soon, though, the Fae Prince catches up with Ivy, and by blackmailing her has captured her with no rescue in sight. Ivy is a strong woman who fights fae all day, every day, but after being mentally tortured by this group, she may just give up in the end.

I am so disappointed in myself... I should have read this book WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT!!! But alas, I didn't because I couldn't handle another cliffhanger from the infamous JLA. And then to find out that this one DOESN'T have a cliffhanger?? I'm hanging myself right now. Sigh.

Oh well, it's done and overwith, and I have finally gotten to this book and loved every minute of it. Ivy is such a strong character, and to have watched her get hurt and bullied and tortured to the point where she is a shell of herself is just gutwrenching. But it was so real, because anyone in her situation would have gone through the same thing. In fact, they would have given up a lot earlier than Ivy did, so even though she was being broken over and over again, she was still being strong.

And it wasn't just the Fae breaking her, but also her own brain. She was torturing herself with thoughts that she didn't confirm - only things that she herself believed - and they were breaking her spirit even more. Ivy was too hard on herself and she should have been hoping for the best outcome, but too many things in her life have broken around her and she finally gave up, I think.

Tink is awesome. Ren is awesome. And Ivy is a badass who I would love to have a fraction of her strength in my life. These characters are so real and JLA makes you feel so much for them, that the reader feels like they are real. They have so many flaws and emotional rollercoasters that it is hard not to imagine yourself in their shoes and feeling their emotions.

I am so glad that I read this, and I'm going to dive right into the 3rd and final book *cries* to see how it all pans out. As much as I'm glad I have the third book, I'm getting so emotional that it is almost over!

So the moral of this review is: Don't wait to read JLA's books. Dive right in, knowing that you will have your heart wrenched out of your chest, because it will be an amazing adventure. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment