Friday, December 14, 2018

Review: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

The Bad Beginning The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Violet, Klaus and Sunny have always had a pretty good life. Granted, Violet is the oldest and she is only 14, but for the most part, the three of them were happy and comfortable.

But then something dreadful happened - their parents died in a fire at their house when the three children were at the beach. Since then, everything has gone downhill fast for the three children, and their story is full of terrible things that they have to endure.

Because of their parents will and their wishes, they want the kids to be raised by a family member. But they wanted them to be in the city where they grew up. Unfortunately, there is only 1 of their very very very distant relatives that lives in the city, and his name is Count Olaf. An illusive actor who is very strange and, as the children find out, very cruel.

Now Violet, Klaus and Sunny have to figure out a way to live with Count Olaf. It doesn't help that Count Olaf is very upset that he can't get to the fortune that is waiting for Violet to become 18, either. So he makes their life miserable by having them do chores, make dinner, and other grueling work.

But when they find out Count Olaf's plan to get to the children's money, that's when they really understand the terrible situation they are in, and now it is up to Violet and Klaus to find a way to leave Count Olaf's care.

So, I thought that I had read this book before, and I believe I did, but I think it was so long ago before I had Goodreads, so I haven't put this on my read list yet! But now that I have read this, I find myself needing to read the whole series, which I know I haven't done yet because the last books weren't even published back then.

I have to say, this may be a short book, but there is so much terribleness in here! Those poor children have been through a horrible ordeal, and then to have to deal with Count Olaf? I would have run away from his house and fending for myself on the streets honestly. And with how book smart Klaus is, and how inventive smart Violet is, I think they could have made it on their own!

I seriously was so mad at Count Olaf's idea to obtain the fortune of the children. I was sick to my stomache, and honestly cannot believe that this is geared toward children with the content that was discussed. And how poor Sunny was treated?

I feel like these children are going to grow more hardened by the end of this series, but more smart and will hopefully find a way out of their predicament on their own instead of waiting for the lazy adults to figure things out.

I am so glad I re-read this novel for bookclub and I'm very excited to dive into the series to see what other horrible things these three siblings will escape from!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment