Saturday, April 28, 2018

Review: Absinthe of the Heart by Monica James

Absinthe of the Heart Absinthe of the Heart by Monica James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I received this eARC novel from the author. This is my honest review.
Release Date: April 3, 2018

London Sinclaire and Holland Brooks are sworn enemies. Not because of anything they did, but because their mothers were best friends, before a terrible betrayal happened between them 17 years ago.

Now, Holland is focused on getting a scholarship to be a lawyer and get out of her judgmental town. And to escape the tortures that London, or "Sin" as he likes to call himself, has been giving her since they were 5 years old.

But when Holland get in trouble, Sin unexpectedly helps her get out of it. Something she never would have expected. And because of that one event, Holland finds herself in a situation where she still hates Sin, but now she wonders who he really is deep down..

Throughout their whole lives, Holland and London have been intertwined in each other lives, but they don't really how deep that goes until everything comes spiraling down around them through their history.

O.M.G...!!!! I just....this was not what I was expecting! I loved it!

I loved the angst and the banter and the sexual tension and the hatred all rolled into one. A few times, I thought it was a bit much, but then the story took a turn 180 degrees and then I was immediately hooked once again. It was a roller coaster ride following Holland and London's story, and I loved every minute of it!

I was a bit confused at first, because this story actually starts with their mothers story and how things got so terrible for them. I had to keep reading the synopsis and figure out who this story was about because it wasn't matching up with the characters, but once I got to the meat of the story, I was so very grateful for having that back story to remember and know exactly how things went down to create this mess of a life that Holland and London are now living.

And let me tell you right now, there is a cliffhanger ending. I hate cliffhangers, so I was a bit upset by this reveal. I guess I didn't realize this was a series, and then to have that ending, it was a bit of a bittersweet ending. Lets just say that I got this as an eARC and now I have to wait EVEN LONGER than normal... sigh...

It's okay though. I may need that long of a time to recovery from this amazing story, and it will give me a reason to re-read this novel again and go through all of the events that Holland lives through.

And I am so glad that my life was much more simpler than hers is...

I am so grateful that I got this eARC and I will definitely be pushing this book when it's released!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment