Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Radiant Darkness

Greek mythology was always fascinating to me when I was younger. I didn't get into too many of the original stories because, honestly, I found them somewhat boring (this was when I was 10, by the way, and reading on my own). I wish I would have gotten more into the stories, though, because when I was reading this book, Radiant Darkness, I found that I didn't quite know the story of Persephone.

This is basically a retelling of how Persephone went to stay in Hell with Hades, her husband. Unlike the original story (from what the author talked about at the end of the novel), this Persephone went willing with Hades because she wanted to live her own life and she loved Hades for the man that he was, not the evil God that everyone knew him to be.

The inner struggles that Persephone went through when she left her mother, Demeter, and her feelings for Hades were very real and it showed how much Persephone cared for everyone around her. She wanted the right thing to happen in both Hell and Earth, and she certainly was not afraid to tell Hades what she thought of his ruling in Hell!!

One thing that did sort of bother me at the beginning of the story was that Demeter always called Persephone a child. With this being said, I started to see Persephone as a child and when Hades started to see Persephone, it was a little weird because Hades has a beard - which shows that he is certainly not a child!

Otherwise, this story was amazing! I want to go and read all of the original Greek mythology stories because it seems to be the new trend in today's society to rewrite/revamp Greek mythology stories and I want to know how right/similar they are to the original story.

Oh, and one more great thing about this novel? It's a stand alone!! I don't have to wait impatiently for the next novel to come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment