Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Review: Beautiful Burn

Beautiful Burn Beautiful Burn by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have had this book for forever and have finally gotten around to read it. Like the majority of the Maddox Brother's novels, I definitely enjoyed it, but it is not my all time favorite. I was spoiled by Travis and apparently no other brother can defeat him in the series that McGuire writes. But that's okay, I love me some Travis and I certainly enjoyed all of the other novels. I own them!

Tyler's story was pretty good. We had seen him and Ellie throughout the other novels in the series, but seeing the story through Ellie's eyes was good to understand their personal demons. Even though we didn't get to read any of it through Tyler's perspective, I definitely loved the way he pursued Ellie and wasn't giving up - no matter what. He knew what he wanted and he was going after it - just like any other Maddox brother. I loved how he was there for Ellie and I especially adored his family with the fire crew!

The issues that I'm always having with the Maddox Brothers series is the female character. Ellie was especially one that I did not care for from beginning to end. She was a spoiled rich kid living a life where she could make any mistake that she wanted knowing there would be no consequences and that her parents would just pay someone to fix it. I hate people like that. Ellie said that it was her parents fault for letting her get away with it, but that's only part of it. She decided to make those decisions and as an adult or even a teenager, the decision is all theirs and they know what will happen. I was actually very disgusted with Ellie at the beginning of this book. And she did get better as a person and a character in the novel. But the damage was done at the beginning with her outlook of life and her attitude that I never really liked her during any of the novel.

Overall, this was a good book. I know Jamie has mentioned it before on how she writes the characters through the eyes of the female characters, but I think I would have given every book a 5 star rating had they all been through the brother's point of view. The readers are dedicated to this series because of the brothers because that is who the story is really about: the Maddox family. So going into all 4 brothers stories, only to have to read about the girl we don't know and finding out their story instead of Thomas, Trent, Taylor and Tyler's thoughts was a bit disappointing and let us down. Maybe one day Jamie will come back to this series and write the novels through the guys point of view like she did for "Walking Disaster" which would be amazing!

I think a dedicated fan of "Beautiful Disaster" will enjoy this novel and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment