Sunday, October 22, 2017

Review: The Black Key by Amy Ewing

The Black Key The Black Key by Amy Ewing
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Violet has been recruiting other surrogates to overthrow the royal families of the Jewel, because living as a slave is not something that anyone wants to do anymore. They are human beings and they deserve to be treated as such. Especially since it was Violet's people who used to live on the island before the royal families killed them and took their land.

Now Violet is out for justice, and she is gathering forces with other people who do not want to be treated like furniture anymore.

But before they can carry out their plans, the Exector and the royals have changed tradition: they are having the Auction in April rather than in October like normal. This means that Violet has to get the word out to people faster and hope that they are the right people to talk to, rather than making a mistake because of the fast pace they are put under.

And then the Duchess does something so terrible that Violet risks all of her plans for: she takes her younger sister, Hazel, to be the new surrogate for her daughter. Now, Violet is returning to the palace of the Lake to make sure that her sister is alive and try to find a way to get her out, or to at least keep her safe until the Auction.

There are so many risks and dangerous things that are about to happen, and Violet is hoping that her newfound ability will work - otherwise the royals will win and destroy the "servant" population.

I am so glad that the book ended like this! This last book was all about action and determination and it was so fast-paced I finished the book in no time and loved every minute of it!

I did get annoyed with Violet (no surprise there) because of the way she was treated others. Sure, I said that I liked her being able to stick up for herself and making her own decisions, but I didn't like the way she was bossing everyone around like a royal does, and how she thought she knew what was best for Ash. Ash is is how person and he was making his own decisions before Violet got in the picture, so for Violet to tell him no on what he wanted to do was wrong. I'm glad he went behind her back and did what he needed to do for himself, and I'm glad that Violet had no say in the final matter.

I loved Raven still, and I loved Garnet still. The niece actually grew on me as well.

Also? The Duchess's death? So loved it. Along with Raven's revenge too.

I am really glad that I stuck with this series because this last book made it up for all of the ups and downs I had with the other two novels. While it wasn't my all-time favorite series, it is a series that I won't forget, and it certainty has made my perspective of life realize that my life is not that bad. It could be a helluva lot worse!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment