Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Review: Once She Dreamed (Part 1) by Abbi Glines

Once She Dreamed Once She Dreamed by Abbi Glines
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Sammy Jo lives in a small, podunk town in Alabama, and she wants out. Sammy wants to discover the world and live in big cities. Being married to a farmer and popping out kids is not in her future. Even though she is getting a vibe from one of her best friends that he wants to do just that with her.

When a mysterious man, who is definitely not from her town comes into the sweet shop that she works, Sammy may have just found her ticket out. Because Hale is very much interested in Sammy when he keeps coming every so often just to buy cupcakes.

Then Sammy gets the chance of a lifetime: to be a housekeeper for Hale in Brooklyn! Now she can live her life, even though she will be leaving her family and friends. But Sammy is ready for this change, no matter what she has to sacrifice.

Wow... I don't think I've ever give an Abbi Glines novel 2 stars before... I just... I couldn't handle this book.

First, Sammy is dumb. I mean, there is naive dumb and then there is just plain dumb. And sadly Sammy was part of the second option. I get wanting to go off and live a different life than what you've been handed, but she is just too much for me.

And Sammy never even thought about going to school and getting scholarships/grants/loans. Believe me, you can get loans no matter what your family situation is. The only problem is to have to pay them back.

She doesn't even have a goal for a CAREER!!! She literally just wants a man to swoop her off her feet and take her on adventures. SAMMY HAS NO IDEA WHAT SHE IS DOING!!!

Now, don't think I'm a snob. Many don't know what they are doing and that is fine, but Sammy expects a free ride and she doesn't have a plan to get there. It's just really frustrating for a person like me who has had to work my butt off to get where I am and I am an independent woman who would never trust a stranger to move thousands of miles away and rely solely on that person - that stranger!

And second, the language and dialogue in this book was just terrible. I get maybe trying to distinguish that this is in the south, but it was just plain bad and made me cringe on multiple occasions.

Lastly, the repetition in this book was driving me insane. Sammy thought about one thing, then she said it outloud to her friends/family, and then she thought about it AGAIN!!!

I am going to read part 2 to see what happens because I also bought it, so I might as well, but I may have to delete these books from my kindle because I don't think I will re-read them again. It's sad, because Abbi Glines is one of my go-to authors that I instantly buy, but this was really a huge let-down for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment