Sunday, February 4, 2018

Review: My Gentleman Thief by Meredith Bond

My Gentleman Thief My Gentleman Thief by Meredith Bond
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received this eARC novel from Red Coat Publishing and the author. This is my honest review.

Thalia is a headstrong, wild woman in the middle of London. At age 18, she is supposed to be going to court and finding a suitable husband, but she is finding everything she can to avoid that situation. Instead, she finds her mother's old notes about the last archaeological dig she was doing before she passed away. With this revelation, Thalia realizes that this is her calling - to be an archaeologist and go back to Greece where she grew up digging in the dirt to find long lost artifacts.

When Yiannis comes to London, he knows he is out of his comfort zone, but his father sent him on a mission: sketch as many Greek artifacts he can find to create a collection of them in one area. This seems easy enough, but then he realizes just how...unhelpful most society members in London are when they realize why he wants this information.

Yiannis decides to take matters into his own hands when he realizes that most people are using these priceless heirlooms as hat holders - which is an abomination to his people's culture. Somehow, Yiannis finds himself taking the heirlooms that are not being properly cared for. So he has been putting them in the storage cellar at Thalia's home.

The more that Thalia and Yiannis find themselves around each other, the more they realize that Greek heirlooms are just one thing they have a passion for. But London society is a tricky thing, and they have to decide what they are willing to risk to take the next step.

This was a great book! It was full of mystery, suspense, wild horse races, and archaeology! Thalia is a hoot and a half and I love that she does whatever she wants, no matter the consequences. The only thing she worries about is how it affects her older sister, which is sweet.

Yiannis wasn't really my most favorite character, but he was likable I suppose. I like a man who takes charge and when he makes a decision he goes after it, no matter what. Yiannis isn't like that and is always questioning himself about his decisions. It got to be a bit annoying, but it wasn't too terrible.

I love the idea of Thalia in Greece digging ancient treasures, and I think that would be an awesome next book! London society has always had me break out in hives, because I would have been an terrible woman in that situation. I would probably be like Thalia - only worse!

I'm really glad I got a chance to read this novel, and if I ever find free time I might try to read the other books in this series one day!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment