Friday, October 5, 2012

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

It's a weekend to die for. The most popular girl has invited Meg and Minnie to her beach house for a weekend party that is exclusive for only certain people.

Meg doesn't want to go. Jennifer is not her friend and hasn't been nice to Meg since she came to school. But Minnie wants to go and Meg makes sure that she makes Minnie happy since she is not stable.

When the two get on the island, they find out that Jennifer hasn't shown up. Instead, it's a group of people that they do and don't know. By the end of the night, there are 10 of them, so they expect Jennifer to come the next morning.

But she doesn't show.

And one of the ten teens committed suicide by hanging herself.

Or that's what they think. One by one, one of the teens dies.

There is a killer on the island. Meg has found a diary that seems very eeriely close to what's happening in the house.

So is the killer an unknown person picking them off one by one? Or is it one of the 10 teens who are stuck in the house until Monday morning when the ferry comes back?

Meg is a watcher, a listener, so she is trying to figure out who is killing them and why. But will she figure it out in time for her to save her friends? Or will she find out too late? Read Ten by Gretchen McNeil to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
I loved this novel!!

I got sucked right away into the story and I just had to find out who the killer was. I also tried to figure out myself by the clues hinting throughout the novel to see if I could predict it.

Yeah, I really didn't figure it out until 1 page before the killer was revealed.

I also really liked Meg. She has the patience of a saint with having a friend like Minnie. Minnie is not stable, she needs to lean on Meg and Meg is like another mother for her. That's not a friendship that one should have in high school.

While reading this, I was on my seat. I didn't know what was going to happen next and I really wanted to find out. I was left guessing until the last chapter and I didn't want it to end!

This is the first time I've read a novel by Gretchen McNeil and now I want more! I will have to go and see what else she has written and read them to see if it's as good as Ten!

I've read some reviews that they didn't like it, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a YA thriller/horror story. It's not perfect, but I really liked it and think others would too.

No comments:

Post a Comment