Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson

Having a protective older brother as a sophomore is horrible. Having her brother's best friend, who is extremely good looking and knows it, and also having him be overly protective of her isn't any better.

So when Ellie gets to go to Norway for the summer to visit her grandmother, Ellie is excited. No protective older males to boss her around and scare all of the boys away before she can get five words out.

Except Graham (brother) and Tucker (friend) decided they are going to come out for a few weeks in the summer too, disappointing Ellie just a little bit.

But when she gets to Norway, things are different than 2 years ago when she was there last. The locals are giving her stares and dirty looks, telling her to go back home, that they don't want her there.

And guys, 18 or older, are starting to disappear. They will be with a group of friends and then a minute later, they are just gone. Some have seen a group of guys following strange, beautiful girls to an SUV, so they know that the guys are getting kidnapped in public, though the group of friends they were with don't remember them leaving.

When Graham gets taken, Ellie decides she has to find out the big secret her grandmother has kept from her, and why everyone in Norway hates her on sight.

Turns out that Ellie is half Valkyrie, an ancient Norse Mythology story where the Valkyrie's would take the dead soldiers from battle to join Odin's army.

And now Ellie needs to hone into her Valkyrie heritage in order to save her brother. Though there are, obstacles ahead to getting her full powers that Ellie needs to overcome.

While struggling with this task, Ellie is also finding herself falling for Tucker's flirting. The only thing is, Tucker does this to any female within five feet of him, so she shouldn't take him seriously. But it's very hard when it seems like Tucker is being serious about his feelings...sometimes.

Can Ellie figure out how to save her brother? And what is the secret that Tucker is keeping from her? Read Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
This was a great book! I wasn't sure what to expect but found myself reading this book in one sitting - it was that good!!

I'm an older sister of two, so I can't compare myself to Ellie's situation with having an older protective brother, but I can imagine that Ellie's experience was dead on.

And I was so envious of her going to Norway! The way the author described the area made me want to go myself!

The action scenes from when Ellie was fighting the other Valkyrie was really well written as well. And even though I'm not up to date on my Norse Mythology, I felt like I've been studying this subject for awhile with the way I was able to understand the myth of Odin and Loki.

The best part was with Tucker, though (well for me anyway). He's such a player but acts differently around Ellie. One, because of Graham but also because he can talk to her and not have to act like a player when around her.

I really, really enjoyed this novel. And it's Ingrid Paulson's first novel! She is extremely talented and I will be looking out for more of her works when they come out!

I'm not sure if this is part of a series?! I know that there is a short story called Valkryie Symptoms from Tucker's point of view that is before the setting of this novel. If you want to read it, it's at this website now for a limited time.

I recommend this to everyone! It's a really great novel, written extremely well and I loved every minute of it. I think others will too! And, again, I will be keeping Paulson on my radar for future novels!

No comments:

Post a Comment