Friday, October 12, 2012

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Living on an island with no cell phone reception and internet/television that goes in and out gets old for a teenage girl.

So that's why Robie likes to go to the mainland to hangout with her cool aunt and eat fast food.

But when Robie's aunt, AJ, has to leave for a week, Robie is excited to be on her own with no grown-ups - not that AJ is strict or anything. The idea of being on her own sounded freeing though.

That was until she got attacked outside by a crazy man. Then Robie just wanted to go home to her parents so they could protect her. The idea of being on her own was not so enticing anymore.

Robi decided to get on the plane that takes supplies to Midway, her home island. She's done it before and knows the pilot - they always let her on if she wants to go home early.

But things went downhill when the plane's engine stopped working. There were 3 people on the plane: Robie, Larry the pilot and Max the co-pilot.

Max and Robie were able to get out of the plane before it hit the water, but Larry died right away trying to keep Max and Robie safe.

They were able to get a raft open and got into it after jumping from the plane. But Max and Robie didn't have any food or water, and were soaked to the bone.

Max hit his head and was out most of the time, leaving Robie alone to worry about their situation. Things weren't looking very good, but Robie always tried to think of something worse than her situation.

But can Robie and Max survive this in time for someone to find them? Or will they be stuck on the raft until they die? Read The Raft by S.A. Bodeen to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
This novel reminded me of many different tv shows/movies. First off, Castaway with Tom Hanks, and also Lost television show. I also found it humorous that Robie talked about Lost and The Hunger Games, making this relatable to today's readers.

I thought this novel was alright. It wasn't my favoriet, the beginning really lagged but I think it was supposed to since she was stranded in the middle of the ocean with a guy who was sleeping most of the time.

Also, I've never been in this situation before, so I can't say it was really lagging. Robie was very strong and fought to find water, food, land, shelter, fire.

For a girl who doesn't really go out in the wilderness too often, I say she did an amazing job fighting to stay alive until someone could find her when they realized she was missing.

I think this could appeal to teens who like the television show Lost. It's not exactly the same; in fact it's more similar to Castaway but both are the main idea for this novel.

Also, I think that either guys or girls could read this. There is no romance and even though it's through Robie's point of view, I think guys could really get in the story line because Robie is just trying to live day by day.

This was my first novel that I've read by S.A. Bodeen and I really enjoyed it. It was a fast paced book, small, and I'll be looking out for more books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment