Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

This is the first novel in the Hopeless series by Colleen Hoover.

Sky has finally gotten her adoptive mother to let her go to public school for the first time in her senior year. She wanted to get used to the public system rather than being home schooled since she is going to college the year after.

Right before she starts school, she meets Dean Holder - the only guy she's ever felt anything and she just saw him. Most guys that she makes out with leave her feeling numb, which she likes because she doesn't have to feel for awhile.

But Holder made her feel so many emotions and he hadn't even touched her - just looked at her and Sky was done for.

When Sky went to school, she already had a reputation as the slut or whore, since she has made out with different guys, even though she's still a virgin. Rumors and lies spread fast in high school, Sky figures out.

Holder fascinates Sky and even though she's hear rumors about him and his past, Sky wants to get to know Holder. But he has many different sides and Sky is not able to understand most of them.

He also gets very jealous around Sky, even though they aren't dating and she's not dating anyone else. But when comments are being made about Sky, Holder will most definitely fight back, unless Sky can talk him out of it.

The chemistry between the two has not gone unnoticed, and with Sky's no filter problem, she blurts out that she wants more with Holder. But he pans it out and let's it linger between the two, keeping their "firsts" spread apart and last longer.

However, things slowly start to go horribly wrong. Sky is having flashes and memories about her life before the adoption. Things she finds out she made herself regret. Things about her best friends when she was 3 and information about her real parents that Sky is now just realizing she wished she never remembered.

Because everything Sky has thought about herself is horribly wrong. She doesn't even know her real self anymore after the secrets get unburied. Now Sky has to deal with what happened, and how Holder is involved in all of her past dark secrets that he knew about before Sky did.

To find out what happened to Sky, and what will happen between Sky and Holder, read Hopeless by Colleen Hoover!

My Thoughts/Reflections
Just a forewarning, this is a NEW ADULT novel, which means that it's a little bit more mature and graphic than a YA novel but not too racy like an adult novel. Mainly, New Adult (NA) novels are set in college and are about characters who are starting to grow up, but still do things that are immature.

I read Hoovers other novel, Slammed, and enjoyed it, but didn't love it. But this novel? I read it in one sitting and wanted more!

I literally laughed out loud (especially when Sky didn't know what "lol" meant), made me gasp, hold my breath, and I cried. Oh, boy, did I cry at the end. I definitely went on an emotional roller coaster ride through this novel and loved every minute of it!

This novel was so intense - even before the big secret was revealed. Holder is an intense guy and Sky actually feels things when he's around, so that alone is intense.

And speaking of the big secret? I most definitely guessed correctly on everything that was revealed long before it happened. But when I guessed it, I didn't want it to be real. It was so horrible and that is why I cried at the end. Because even though I guessed correctly, I really didn't want my guess to be right.

Hoover did an amazing job. Even if all readers guess what happens at the end, it is still emotional and heart breaking - especially when we read about Sky and Holder's reaction and emotions to the revealing.

Even though I heard tons of great reviews from this novel, it took me awhile to spend money on it for the eBook on Amazon, but I finally did and boy am I sure glad I experienced this novel. I will definitely not be forgetting this story any time soon, and I'm curious to see what Hoover is going to write about for the sequel of this novel. I will, however, be waiting to find out the minute any information about the sequel comes out, because I need to read more about Sky and Holder.

I would most definitely recommend this novel to my friends and any older readers, as the content is very graphic in some areas. Go read it. Now. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment