Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I've Loved Before To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lara Jean is a romantic. She has been in love with 5 guys in her 16 years and she has written each one a private letter professing her love and made them as her closure to her young love. These letters were never to be seen in the light of day, mind you. These letter were for her to keep and re-read whenever she wanted to.

But somehow, they got out. As in, they got mailed to the 5 boys. And now Lara Jean has to deal with the questions and reactions.

Because one of those letters was for Josh, her neighbor, and also her older sister, Margo's, ex-boyfriend, Lara Jean does something very...drastic. She tells Josh that she is dating someone else. Someone who also got a letter from Lara Jean. Someone named Peter, and someone who decides that they can pretend to date for their own advantage.

So now Lara Jean, a girl who has never dated before, is now dating one of the most popular boys in her class. And she has no idea what she is doing. She just knows that she has to avoid Josh until everything dies down and he doesn't ask about the letter, and that Margo never finds out.

But of course things don't go according to her plan, and things slightly fall apart. Lara Jean is usually an optimistic point of view girl, but hopefully her looking on the bright side can get her through the bumps she's about to face.

So I made a mistake...I watched the TV movie on Netflix before reading this book. I know, I know, it was bad of me, but I just really wanted to watch it!! And I loved it! And I did enjoy this book, but I think I would have liked it way more if I had read it first.

But that's okay. I'm still glad that I read it because I am also reading the other two in the series to see how everything goes with these characters.

Lara Jean is just a good girl. She reminds of me of myself in high school in a way, but then also not in a way. One I was never that romantic, nor did I care for high school boys because they were always so immature and I just couldn't handle them in the hallways, let alone actually date one. And two she is a baker and a girly girl, whereas I was always reading and I was a tomboy when doing sports.

For this to have happened to her is just craziness! Poor girl. But I'm also glad that it happened to her because she needed to live a little and get out in the world. No one goes anywhere in life by staying home and watching life outside their window.

The movie was a bit different than this novel, but for the most part it was pretty close to the story. I'm interested to see what happens after the way it ended! I will definitely be recommending this to friends and patrons at work!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment