Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Review: What Monstrous Gods by Rosamund Hodge

What Monstrous Gods What Monstrous Gods by Rosamund Hodge
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hmmm, I ended up finishing this book rather than DNFing, which I was a bit inclined to do, but I DID finish it!  But sadly I didn't connect with this story as much as I wanted to. 

The amount of love and adoration Lia has for the gods is....admirable, but it was so repetitious throughout this book.  Like obnoxiously so.  I'm sure it was because she was trying to convince herself of the love she felt, but it was just overly done for my taste. I did like the fact that she got so many gods and saints to gift her their powers, which in my mind makes her Queen over anyone else with how often she got "blessed" by the higher ups.  But then she didn't become queen?  Why wouldn't they decree her that since she passed so many tests?

Her love for Ruven seemed forced and not necessarily true?  Like they were the only ones that could talk to each other (at least for Ruven) and so of course he's going to fall in love with Lia.  And Lia could only be her true self with Ruven because he was dead and couldn't do much about her wavering faith, so she fell in love with him.  Plus Ruven has been alone for 500 years, so of course he's going to latch on to the one person he can communicate with.  So yeah, that romance was weird and unnecessary to the story, for me anyway. 

I dunno, this book was okay, and I'm glad it's a standalone, but I'm just not quite sure why I couldn't click with it.  I wanted to give up a few times.  I was glad the Queen died but also think the prime minister should have died too, along with a few other characters that were seriously too judgmental for their own good and acted like royalty themselves.  So I'm glad I read it to know how I feel, but it's definitely not going to be a book I collect. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment