Sunday, July 8, 2018

Review: From Here to You by Jamie McGuire

From Here to You From Here to You by Jamie McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received this eARC novel from Edelweiss. This is my honest review.
Release Date: August 21, 2018

Darby can't marry her abusive fiance. Not when she finds out that she is pregnant. She can't let her child get hurt by the man she's found herself stuck with. So with the help of a friend, she runs away from Texas in her wedding dress and ends up in Colorado. She hopes that is far enough that he can't find her, and hopefully changing her last name will throw him off guard.

Trex has been waiting for his one true love his whole life. He's dated off and on, whenever his jobs allowed him to, being ex-Marine and ex-FBI, but he knew those women were not the one for him. All of his friends make fun of him for saying that "the one" is out there and he will find her, but Trex is determined they will find each other.

So when Trex sees Darby working the front desk at the hotel, he just knew. Darby is the one for him. However, he has to tread carefully with her, because he can't be completely truthful about his current job, and she has sworn off all men who are military, firefighters, police, etc. due to her ex-fiance being in the Armed Forces. She doesn't want to be with anyone who could be anything like her ex.

Trex slowly gets inside Darby's heart and has her thinking about how kind and thoughtful and attractive he is. When secrets come out little by little, though, Darby starts to loose the trust in Trex that she has built. And Trex hasn't even told her his biggest omission...

Things were pretty perfect for Trex and Darby, and they had everything set up for the baby to arrive, when everything exploded. Now, Trex and Darby are going to have to be honest and truthful with each other, and hope they can get out of the really bad situation they have found themselves in to get their happily ever after.

I love Jamie McGuire's books, so I was super excited to get this eARC of From Here to You! And I liked it, but it wasn't my all time favorite of hers. Which does NOT mean it's a bad book, but I don't think anything can top Beautiful Disaster for me, to be honest.

Both Trex and Darby were characters with a dark past and a bit beaten up by the time we meet them in this novel. Darby was scared, didn't trust well, and was on edge. I can't relate to her at all, so I can't judge, but her getting upset about the littlest things got on my nerves a bit. I totally get it, but after the 5th time of hearing the same thing and excuses, it was getting to be a bit much for me.

And I honestly missed the moment that Trex knew Darby was the one. It was like, one minute they were talking to each other and the next, Trex is badgering her over and over because she is the one for him. I don't get the instant love, and usually in books both characters feel that connection, so to see just Trex have that and not Darby made it feel a bit stalkerish at the beginning until Darby came around to the idea of it.

I do feel for Darby because that is a scary place to be with an abusive fiance and find out your pregnant on your wedding day. She was very brave to leave with the wedding dress as her only clothes, knowing that her ex would 95% come after her. I can't imagine what she was going through and feeling, so I'm very proud of her for doing that to protect her unborn child.

I'm hoping that we will be able to move forward in time with the upcoming novels. A lot of the Beautiful books and now this one have been during the same time frame, so we are reading the same events through other people's viewpoints. It was really cool at first, but now after so many books, it's becoming repetitive, even though it's different characters stories. I would like to see the secondary characters move forward in their life while reading a different characters main story for the novel.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I cannot wait to buy the physical book to add to my Jamie McGuire collection. I think everyone is going to really enjoy this novel!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment