Monday, January 30, 2012

Kiss Crush Collide by Christina Meredith

Leah Johnson has a pretty good life. She is blond, smart, and has her whole future mapped out for her by her two older sisters, Yorke and Freddie. Both sisters were homecoming and prom queen, valedictorian, and dated the captain of the football team - all that are in line for Leah to join in her upcoming senior year.

The summer before her senior year, though, Leah is still working at the swimming pool as a life guard - something her mother hates - and just found out that her oldest sister, Yorke, is getting married at the beginning of August and her other sister, Freddie, is going to France for oversea studies.

Another thing that has happened during the summer is Leah meeting Porter - a mysterious, handsome stranger who works at the country club and seems to find Leah at random times.

Leah feels this undeniable attraction with Porter, something she's never felt with her boyfriend (captain of the football team) Shane, before. As Leah is trying to figure out what the attraction means, she's becoming more and more distant with Shane, finding his habits annoying and overbearing.

Leah's mother sees the disconnection Leah has with the family traditions and starts keeping Leah on a tighter leash - trying to make Leah another version of herself and of Leah's two sisters.

However, Leah is starting to understand that she doesn't have to be exactly like the women in her family to have a good and happy life for her own wants and needs.

My Thoughts/Reflections
I have to admit, I picked this book up because of the cover. I got very interested after reading the back excerpt and thought this would be another steamy romance like Perfect Chemistry or Hush, Hush.

However, I found myself not particularly connecting with this book. Don't get me wrong, the story and meaning behind Leah finding her own self rather than following the footsteps of her mother and sisters is a great storyline, but there were times when I thought Leah was complaining too much and not doing something about her life.

She eventually did go off on her own path, but it took a little longer than I thought it should have.

I'm glad that Leah was able to get her own identity, though, in the end. No one should feel the need to have to follow their siblings footsteps. I'm an older sister of just my sister and I, so I don't know what it's like to have that pressure, but I know that my younger sister and I are definitely different from one another, making us have different goals and achievements.

I would recommend this novel for any teen girls who feel the need to follow their older sibling's footsteps. They would be able to relate to Leah's story and maybe figure out their own hobbies or likes to change their future from their sister's decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment