Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blacklisted by Gena Showalter

This is the second novel in the Teen Alien Huntress series. To see the review of the first novel, click here: Red Handed.

Camille is in her last semester of high school, and to make those last few weeks more exciting, her and her friend Shanel decide that they are going to talk to their crushes.

In order to do that, they decide to go to a club where they know that Erik (Camille's crush) and Silver (Shanel's crush) will be on a Friday night.

What they didn't know was that it was a particularly bad night to pick. Erik is an ex-A.I.R. agent and the A.I.R. has been trying to capture him for some time. That Friday night just happened to be the night they picked.

When Camille got caught in the middle of the A.I.R. affairs, she realized that she never knew about the human/alien war.

At first, she didn't want anything to do with bad-boy Erik when she almost died - two times. But after watching him protect her no matter his own protection, she decided to stay on his side because he promised to protect her.

It seems that he's had a crush on her for awhile too - he just didn't want her to get involved in his troubled past.

But when Camille finds out that he's doing something good even though it's technically breaking the law, she has to decide if she wants to go back to her boring life at home and high school, or if she wants to make a change in the world, no matter the cost.

Whichever road she decides to take, Camille's life will be forever changed.

Which way does Camille go? Will the A.I.R. let her go, or will they decide she can't be trusted? Read Blacklisted by Gena Showalter to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
While the first book followed a different character, the reader was introduced to two other characters, one that was introduced in the first novel briefly (Erik) and a new, courage character (Camille).

I like the way the author took this route. While I could have enjoyed another book following Phoenix and the A.I.R., this gave a different viewpoint of the world that Showalter created - the darker side that needed help in order to survive.

Again, the main female character Camille was a brave girl. She always thought of herself as shy and cowardly, but when she got caught up in Erik's dilemma, she pulled her own weight and decided to help him rather than run.

It was weird seeing Erik as the "bad guy" - the guy who was being hunted by A.I.R. since in the first novel the A.I.R. were hunting criminals. Erik claimed that he wasn't doing anything illegal, but only Camille believed him.

I really enjoyed this book. I think it was a great addition to add to this series (just these two novels) and I wish there were more novels. But since this was published in 2007, I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

I would definitely recommend this novel to any supernatural fans out there. While one doesn't need to read the first novel to get the setting, I think it would be a good idea because then the reader can connect with the secondary characters and understand Erik's dilemma as to why he doesn't want to hurt the A.I.R. agents.

A great series, in my opinion! I saw that Gena Showalter wrote the Alien Huntress series, where the professors and trainers at A.I.R. are the main characters, so maybe I'll live in this futuristic world some more with adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment