Monday, May 7, 2012

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

After living in New Orleans, Louisiana, Rory is going to a 2 year school in London. Her parents are teaching in Bristol and Rory got to choose her schooling during their overseas job.

When Rory gets to Wexford, her new boarding school/home, she was struck with the thought that it was HOME now. She had to shower there, sleep there, eat there - do everything there.

Upon the arrival of her coming into London, there was also a brutal murder that occurred. A murder that was the exact replica of Jack the Ripper's murders in 1888. There is a Jack the Ripper copycat.

Rory is less than amused by this act as she's not from London, doesn't know that much about Jack the Ripper, and she's having a hard enough time keeping up in her classes. She figures that things will die down after the killer is caught and it was just some sort of prank.

However, on the night of the third murder, Rory sees a man outside of her building at school. When her roommate, Jazza, did not see anyone there, Rory is a little... worried about her seeing people who aren't there.

She comes to find out that she can see ghosts. Rory had an incident where she almost died, and she has the genes in which she can see ghosts, but only if she encounters a scare of death.

After that, Rory gains a new roommate - Boo. Boo has the same ability that Rory has, along with Boo's "friends" Stephen and Callum.

When the ghost portraying as Jack the Ripper finds out that Rory can see him, he decides to make Rory is 5th and final victim in the Jack the Ripper replica.

Will Rory be able to find the way to get rid of the ghost? Read The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson to find out!

My Thoughts/Reflections
Okay, first, Rory. I can't help it. When I read that name, I'm transferred to Gilmore Girls. This book is nothing like that show, nor is Rory anything like Rory Gilmore, but I still see Alexis Bledel when I see that name.

Second, this book is unlike anything Maureen has written in the past. And I LOVED it just as much as I love her previous novels!

Third, London. I've been to London, so I knew some of the landmarks Maureen Johnson wrote about, but she did a great job describing it and if I hadn't been there before, I would have after reading this novel.

This has a great deal of mystery and murder, keeping the atmosphere of the book "on your seat with suspense".

Trying to figure out London ways is hard for Rory, let alone having to deal with ghosts, murders, and becoming the next victim of a killing spree.

There was a little bit of romance in this novel between Rory and a classmate, Jerome. However, I didn't feel it. I think I felt more sparks with Rory and Stephen (another person who sees ghosts) even though nothing happened romantically between them.

This is the first book in a trilogy and I can't wait to see what other adventures will be uncovered in the next two books!

I would recommend this to anyone, espeically those who like London, historical atmospheres, and a good murder and mystery story!

No comments:

Post a Comment