Friday, February 8, 2019

Review: Famous in a Small Town by Emma Mills

Famous in a Small Town Famous in a Small Town by Emma Mills
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received this eARC novel from Edelweiss. This is my honest review.

Sophie loves her hometown, Acadia, IL. In fact, she's planning on never leaving the area because she loves it so much. She knows that her really close group of friends don't feel the same, but she thinks she can talk them into loving Acadia just as much as she does, eventually. And Sophie loves the story about famous Megan Pleasant becoming a country star right here in Acadia. Even Megan loved Acadia enough to make multiple albums about her time in Acadia!

When a new boy, August, comes into town and ends up being the brother to Sophie's next door neighbor, Sophie thinks this might be a sign for her. She gets to know August and is always having him hangout with her and her friends, and it seems that August wants to be distant, but has a hard time once Sophie gets him to open up.

Sophie also loves her band at school, and she is determined she will raise enough money for their tour once school starts. And what better idea than to get famous Megan Pleasant to come do a concert right in Acadia again! Except it's been pretty hard to get ahold of Megan.

Things start to look down for Sophie, and her always bubbly personality is starting to wan, because it seems like nothing is going right for her. And then she finds out a lot of secrets to the "happy" life in Acadia, and things don't seem as cheerful anymore...

This was a good book. I actually took the title to mean differently than what was actually going to happen. I thought August was going to be a famous person hiding out in a small town, not that it was about Megan. It was still a cute novel - very clean - but I wasn't 100% in love with it, to be honest.

Sophie and August's relationship was a bit strained and awkward. Then again, this is a YA book about teenagers, so maybe it was realistic, but I just wasn't able to really root for the two of them to be together. I did like the friendships that Sophie has with her friends. Though it was a bit too much on how much they relied on each other. Maybe I was just more independent than these kids nowadays.

Overall, it was a cute novel that I'm sure other readers will love. I'm glad I got a chance to read this!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment