Friday, August 17, 2018

Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Tally has 3 months before she becomes pretty. She wishes she went with her friend Peris, because now he is having all of the fun and excitement, but Tally doesn't turn 16 until the end of summer. But since most of her friends have already left Uglyville and went to New Pretty Town, Tally's a bit bored.

Then she meets Shay, and they start doing tricks together, becoming fast friends.

Except Shay has a secret, and she doesn't tell Tally until she leaves: she doesn't want to be pretty. She wants to live off the grid and in the wilderness. Tally can't comprehend a life like that - why wouldn't anyone want to be pretty? That's what everyone prepares for.

But when Tally gets put into a corner, she has to make decisions that are going to break promises. The question is, which promises are worth keeping and which ones are worth betraying?

This is the second time I've read Uglies, and I'm pretty much on board with the 3 star review I gave it in 2010. It has a bit of a slow start, and it takes a little while to get into the story with all of the different language since this is dystopian. However, by the time I got to the end, I remembered why I dived into the next book. The ending leaves you wanting to know so much more, which I'm at that stage right now, but after looking at my star reviews, I think I'm going to pass since I didn't give any book higher than 3 stars. That's okay, I have a lot of reading to do!

I definitely enjoyed the second half of the book, and I think many readers who are looking for a Divergent/Hunger Games/Maze Runner read a like would really enjoy this series!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment