Saturday, August 19, 2017

Review: Antisocial

Antisocial Antisocial by Jillian Blake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Coming back from Christmas break single and friendless is not what Anna thought was going to happen. But sadly it's what did happen. Palmer broke up with her after 3 months of dating, with no reason as to why or what went wrong. And in those three months, Anna lost all of her close friends because she ditched them for better things when she was with Palmer.

What Anna did was wrong and mean and terrible, and she is going to do whatever she can to get their trust and friendship back. And Jethro? Well maybe she wants more than friendship with the guy who knows exactly how to calm her down when she is starting to have a panic/anxiety attack. But it's too soon after her break up...right?

Just when Anna is trying to mend her fragile life, shit hits the fan at her school. Someone hacked into the schools app and took all of the students personal information - including texts, photos, IM, and anything else you can think of. And now that person is sharing that information to EVERYONE and causing a lot of riots between friends.

Anna is an outcast and antisocial and has attacks when it comes to crowded places. But she needs to mend her friendships, so she may have to have confrontations with a lot of people before that happens. Especially with Palmer because Anna knows his secrets that many people do not.

The synopsis of this book really intrigued me when I found it on a list in my email about a YA book not to be missed. So I put it on hold at the library and started reading it when I got it.

And for the most part, it was a pretty decent book. There were moments I found myself skimming over paragraphs that weren't really needed, but there was enough dialogue to keep my interest and there was enough mystery to keep the suspense going.

I'm bummed that we really don't find out who the real hacker is, but I guess I'm okay with the ending.

The thing I liked the most about this book is how Anna overcame her fears and was fighting her disability throughout the whole book to make the hard decisions that she had to make. She had a lot of great character development through this novel and it will definitely benefit her when she is off to college in less than a year.

There were so many characters to keep straight in this book, so some times I had to stop and make sure I was remembering correctly.

But overall, I did enjoy this book. It won't be something I re-read in my future, but I am glad that I got a chance to read this debut novel and I will keep an eye out for more by Jillian Blake in the future :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment