Monday, August 14, 2017

Review: The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry

The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When Cady wakes up in a cabin, she has no idea where she is, how she got there, and most importantly, who she is. Everything is blank to her and she is trying to figure out what has happened. Then the pain is being registered. She is bruised up and down all over her body, but the most pain she feels in on her hand, with her fingers.

When two men are talking about her and decide she doesn't have any useful information for them, they decide they are going to take her outside and kill her. And as much as she doesn't know what is going on, Cady does know she is not going to get murdered without fighting for her life.

After some really impressive moves that knocked the man taking her outside unconscious (she must be a badass if she can do self-defense, right?), she takes everything she can find off of the man and drives herself down the mountain side.

Once she gets help, she realizes that she may not be able to trust anyone. Rumor has it, she is from the crazy house and the authorities are going to hand her over to the "doctors". But she knows that everything that is stated in the news is a lie.

Surprisingly, Cady finds a friend in a fellow teenager who is working at McDonalds. For some reason, Ty believes Cady's wild story over the two professional gentlemen who are looking for Cady with a blurred out picture of her.

Now Cady and Ty are on a mission to figure out who Cady is, why she lost her memory, where her family is, and why are people out to kill her for something she has no inkling of what happened.

This was a short, fast paced book that kept me entranced until the very end. I called the twist and what was going to happen before it did, but I don't think that this book was so mystery, suspense, let's figure out who-done-it type of book, but rather about Cady getting to know herself again and for her to figure out the pieces when the right time came.

I actually really admire Ty. He is a guy who's been homeless, is trying to get his life back together and then decides to stir up his life to help a complete stranger who probably looks god awful. To tell you the truth, I definitely wouldn't be a willing player in helping a stranger who is in a ton of shit. I'm a pansy ass, sure, but I don't want to risk my neck for someone I have no idea what they are mixed into.

And I also really liked Cady. She is one tough cookie and she is determined to figure out what is going on, and how to fix everything so that people aren't trying to kill her anymore. I don't blame her, but she was willing to do whatever it took to survive, and I can only hope that I would be able to do the same thing in her shoes.

I think this was a great book and I'm glad I got a chance to read it!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment