Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Entwined

Love this cover! So beautiful!
When I was a little girl, my favorite story was about the 12 Dancing Princesses. I'm not sure exactly why - I was a tomboy who hated dressed and hated dancing (still hate both to this day) so this story was the complete opposite of me. Maybe that's why I liked it so much? It was a foreign world that I would never willingly go to, but it was nice to read it and imagine myself being one of 12 princesses.

Entwined is a great remake of the 12 Dancing Princesses. It goes into more details than the original, short story and it has more of a storyline for the princesses than any other rendition I've read before. While this story is based on the eldest daughter, Azalea's, viewpoint, the reader gets a little piece of every princess and their uniqueness from their sisters.

One thing that is significantly different from this young adult novel than the original, shorter version is that we don't get to see/read first hand the journey that Mr. Branford (the hero) goes through and the magic he discovers. I only know about that because I can still remember reading the story and seeing the pictures of the hero going to save the princesses.

Heather Dixon did a great job retelling this famous fairy tale. Many young adults today won't know the original story, so rewriting it now is a great way to bring this story back to life for more teenagers to read!

From the original story that I grew up reading. My sister and I would
fight over who was the prettiest princess!

No comments:

Post a Comment