Thursday, October 31, 2019

Review: Sustain by Tijan

Sustain Sustain by Tijan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've read other books by Tijan and have adored them, but this one seemed to have fallen short for me, somehow. I wasn't really able to connect with the characters, and it seemed that there was TOO much secrecy of their past that was hard for me to comprehend what was going on in the present story. I do have to say that Bri and Luke's fathers? What a terrible way to grow up. Bri has been haunted by many events from her past from both of their fathers and that is just so sad to think about. Kids should be loved and protected by their fathers, not fearing them and waiting for the other terrible shoe to drop.

The lives that these characters live in is just...very sad. The fact that Bri had no reaction when she found out why her mother had to go to the hospital? It shows that she is always expecting the worst, and the only way she can survive is to not get too emotional to anyone. And that is no way to live. Bri and Luke's relationship is just...messed up honestly. They don't talk to each other, they just fall into bed and ignore everything they need to talk about, and then when conversation is forced on them, they play the ignoring game of not acknowledging each other. Honestly, it's not a healthy relationship, but I guess it might work out for them?

Overall this was an okay novel. I'm glad I got a chance to read it, and I will still be reading more books by Tijan, but this was one that really wasn't my favorite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment