Saturday, April 21, 2012

BED4 Day #21: Volunteering

Since I haven't heard from any jobs yet, I thought that I would try to volunteer at a public library. I don't have any experience with public libraries and it would be nice to actually be in a library again after over a year of not working in one.

Did you know, though, that most libraries don't take volunteers anymore??

I mean, it's basically free labor! And I've had experience shelving, weeding, shifting - all of the grunt work! I was very shocked when I called most of the libraries around my town and they said they don't take volunteers!

There is a "Friends of the Library" program where one can volunteer. I think they work with the bookstore and they work with the donated books that come in to 1) maybe add to the library's collection or 2) save for the annual book sale.

But still!! No volunteering... I'm still amazingly shocked at this news. Maybe it's just me though. It could be old news and I just never heard about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment