Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Hazel Grace was diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer when she was 12 years old. At the age of 16, she is known as a medicine miracle. She is still fighting the cancer - and is reminded of the harder times since she is attached to an oxygen tank everyday.

After her parents insisting, Hazel goes to a Support Group meeting for cancer patients once a week. This is to get her out of the house and meet other people, as her mother thinks she becoming depressed.

Nothing spectacular happens at this group at first. However, after a few weeks, a new teen comes to the meeting: Augustus Waters. Hazel is stunned by his good looks and uncanny interest he has of her when he sees Hazel.

So, of course, after that first meeting, Hazel and Augustus find many reasons to get together and hangout. Augustus is in remission, giving him and Hazel a topic to discuss, but that isn't their main "go-to-topic".

In fact, Hazel and Augustus have such an odd view of life that they talk about everything and nothing, and still find each other fascinating.

One key thing that the two discuss quite frequently (besides Augustus's gorgeous looks) is a novel that Hazel loves An Imperial Affliction. She has Augustus read it and it was all they talked and thought about.

The novel leaves the reader wanting more - in every concept. Because Augustus was a new reader, he wanted the answers and contacts the author. After much debate, Augustus and Hazel were able to go to Amsterdam, where the author lives, to ask their questions.

Throughout their adventure, Hazel and Augustus go through many stages within their relationship and they also experience events they never thought they would.

My Thoughts/Reflections
I feel as if my review has not captured the essence and the overall story of this novel. It was an emotional roller-coaster.

I laughed out loud through many parts. I cried through others. I smiled during the childish, but grown-up, events. I yelled through the hard, painful experiences.

John Green is a great author. All of his novels are amazing, and I'm ashamed to say that while I've read all of his novels, I have yet to review one on this blog (an action that will be fixed, soon, I assure you). He does not disappoint in his latest novel telling Hazel and Augustus's story.

Having never been a patient of cancer, nor having a family member who was diagnosed with cancer, I have no idea what Hazel or Augustus went through.

I do know that both characters are very strong for fighting everyday to stay with their family and friends. They are more grown-up than a lot of people I know, including myself.

While this is a tough subject matter, I think all readers could benefit from reading this novel. I would recommend this to anyone, teenager to adult. It would capture both audiences and portray it's overall message to any reader, no matter age or gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment