Monday, April 23, 2012

The Clone Codes by The McKissacks

The year is 2170. Leanna is in a virtual school, where she can relive historical events, like Harriet Truman rescuing slaves.

When Leanna is not in a virtual world, she lives in a world with clones and cyborgs. Cyborgs are people who are not 100% human. They have bionic parts to them if they've been in an accident. Clones and cyborgs are not treated at humans and are not part of the 13th Amendment, but are not solely slaves either.

Most clones are programmed without thoughts, feelings, or any creative idea for themselves. They do what they are told and they are only known as a number, not a name.

Leanna doesn't have a clone in her household. Her mother doesn't approve of clones.

What Leanna didn't realize was that her mother was part of a society who is trying to grant clones and cyborgs their freedom - so they won't have to answer to humans anymore.

And one other thing that Leanna didn't know? She's a second generation clone! Only she thinks and acts like a human, living longer than normal clones do. Her mother created her but treated her like her own daughter.

Leanna is proof that clones can be treated like a human, but will society see it that way? Or will they only see her as a clone who has no rights and force her into clone codes?

My Thoughts/Reflections
This was a fun read! A dystopian world with clones and cyborgs - not something that I'm  used to reading but very fast paced and packed with information.

I really liked Leanna. I was absolutely shocked when I found out she was only 13 years old - I definitely would have pegged her for a 16 or 17 year old, that's how mature she is.

This was a short and easy book to read, and it's the first of a trilogy. I just happened to pick it up at a used bookstore because the backcover sounded interesting. While the ending was a little vague, I'm happy with the ending result and I won't be reading the rest of the series.

I would recommend this book to any teen - girl or guy. I think with the dystopian world it can interested teen guys even though the main character and narrator is a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment